
"It was a song he loved, he loved 'Camelot'. It was the song he loved most at the end...on a Victrola ten years old... It's the last record. The last side of Camelot said, 'Camelot...don't let it be forgot that for one brief shining moment there was Camelot."--- Jackie Kennedy
Indeed, there truly was Camelot, immortalized in the hearts and minds of not just Americans but people all over the world. Decades have already passed but the world is still captivated by the life and story of America's "royal family", the Kennedy's. Just like King Arthur and Queen Guinevere, JFK and Jackie became legends and icons in their own right. The allusion to the Camelot myth began when they got married. It was what many considered as a match made in political heaven. He was the dashing politician with big aspirations; she was Newport society's debutante. They were a beautiful a couple who brought power, youth, and glamor into the Kennedy presidency.
What makes them so fascinating?
I personally believe that JFK had that certain charisma that made him so popular with the people. His Harvard pedigree, social and political background might have also contributed to his appeal. He was a pioneer of change, moving towards the modernization of his country. His vigor and youth provided a breath of fresh air, something his predecessor lacked. As his inauguration speech ended, he left the audience and his countrymen something to ponder on, "My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." It is very unfortunate though that he was killed before he even finished his term. The nation was devastated, a testament of how JFK has made an impact to the people. It was definitely one of the most tragic events in the 20th century. His life was cut short but his memory and legacy will continue on for many years; as his wife Jackie would simply put it, "Now, I think that I should have known that he was magic all along. I did know it — but I should have guessed that it would be too much to ask to grow old with and see our children grow up together. So now, he is a legend when he would have preferred to be a man."
JFK once said, "I am the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris, and I have enjoyed it." First and foremost, he was the president of the United States on a state visit to France. Second, he was the husband of Jackie Kennedy. For a man in his position, to say something like that speaks volume of Jackie's important role as First Lady and wife. She has exceeded a lot of expectations and became First Lady of the world. Despite the difficulties of being a politician's wife, her love and devotion to JFK were unwavering. She was able to develop this skill of observing people in his political and social circle with objectivity. She accompanied him in all the state visits and threw parties at The White House. All throughout his presidency, she held her own ground. One of her most memorable contribution was the restoration of the White House to its original state. It just shows how much she patronizes culture, art and history. I personally believe that these things are essential in shaping a nation's identity. And she did all of these with style. Let's not forget that she also juggled the role of a doting mother to Caroline and John-John, shielding them from the public eye. As far as fashion is concerned, she became a trendsetter. Every woman wanted to look like her. She was the epitome of elegance. Many admired her strength as a wife and mother. She remained loyal to JFK even though she knew about his extramarital affairs. After the assassination, she never let her grief get in the way as she carefully planned his burial. She mourned with the public with grace and dignity, and she became their strength. In the end, I guess you can say that she truly loved him because for her final resting place, she wanted to be buried next to him.
If I had the power to go back in time, I would gladly visit this period in history. Much have been written about the Kennedy's and Camelot but these are not enough. I want to have a full grasp of what it felt like to be there. Be a part of something that is greatly celebrated; be a part of history. If you'll ask me why I'm so fascinated with them? I certainly won't run out of reasons why. Perhaps I'm like the same as everyone else captivated by them. They were a symbol of youth and have so much promise. An image that will always be embedded in our collective consciousness because they once possessed some of the things that make life beautiful.

No comments:
Post a Comment