"Everyone has his own style. When you have found it, you should stick to it."---Audrey Hepburn
I always make it a point to update myself with the latest fashion trends, then I choose the ones that will flatter my body. Not every trend will look good on you, trust me I've learned it the hard way. It's actually hard to keep up with the fast pace of the ever-changing fashion industry. Eventually, I got tired of it and discovered classic pieces that never go out of style, then I started pairing it with trendy pieces that I like. It actually worked for me! I guess that's how my style evolved. Whenever I dress up I make sure my whole ensemble is classy, feminine and a bit understated. I don't consider myself a fashionista, let alone a trendsetter, but I would like to encourage everyone to find their own style. You must know what looks good on you and then start building your wardrobe from there.
Here are some of my wardrobe staples:
1. Skinny Jeans
These are the only pair of jeans that had the perfect fit, I must admit it was like magic. As you can see, jeans have always been a problematic piece of clothing for me even when I was younger. There's always something wrong with it; either the length is too long or the waistline is too big. Maybe it was because of my petite frame and my unflattering derriere. My mother would usually send it to the tailor to have it altered. I envied those girls who have no difficulty in finding the perfect jeans for them. I've also tried different cuts of jeans like the straight and flared but they still look ghastly. Then the skinny jeans came out! I was hesitant and uncomfortable at first because they were tight but after some time I got used to it. I prefer them in dark, plain colors like navy blue and black. It's the perfect outfit for creating the illusion of longer and thinner legs. I like how it hugs your thighs and how it falls straight to your ankles. If it's a bit long, I just fold it inwards. Guess, Jag and Abercrombie offer high quality skinny jeans; the denim they use is stretch and comfortable and the color doesn't wear off easily.
2. Dresses and Skirts
Dresses and skirts never fail to make its wearer look so feminine, demure and even sexy. Dresses have always been a part of my wardrobe. The A-line and empire cut dresses are the ones that flatter my figure (since I'm petite and flat chested!). Another essential must-have is the LBD (Little Black Dress)! It's famous for its versatility; just change the accessories and you have created a whole different look. Recently, I've purchased dresses with cinched waistlines and flowing skirt because it gives emphasis to my tiny waist. I also noticed that the style and patterns from the 60s are making a comeback. The dresses made back then were simple yet sophisticated (think of Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn!). If I had it my way, I'd have all my dresses tailor made but it consumes a lot of time and money.
If you want a more casual or laid-back look then skirts are perfect for this. You can pair it with any plain top and it would give your outfit a girly look. And sometimes when I don't feel like wearing a dress, I'll just pick up a skirt. My favorites are the A-line skirt, again putting emphasis on my tiny waist plus it looks so sophisticated, and flowy skirts that end above the knee. I also have a black bandage skirt that has a nice fit and it goes well with almost anything.
3. Button down shirts
You can never go wrong with a classic button down shirt. Wearing this makes me feel sexy without showing too much skin. Most of the time I roll the sleeves up and keep it tucked in my pants or skirt. You can wear it over your top or dress for a more casual look. For a more polished look, pair it with slacks or dress pants and a blazer.
4. Blazers
Blazers are the perfect choice if you a want a polished look. It can always add character to a plain outfit. I love how designers found a way to make blazers less formal by adding prints and designs to the lining, so it shows when you roll the sleeves. When buying a blazer, always check how it fits your shoulders. These are the conditions that are hard to negotiate with; if the fit is not good then don't waste your money on it. Having it altered is not a solution. Also pick a color that suits you; black, white, tan and gray works well with my complexion.
5. Accessories
Accessories are quite a challenge for me. For my earrings, I only wear studs that are moderate in size, specifically pearls and diamonds. Dangling, chandelier and drop earrings overpower my small face. For my necklaces, I only wear those with thin chains (either short or long) and simple pendants. I rarely wear bracelets and rings because my wrist and fingers are too tiny, nothing will fit. Instead of wearing bracelets, I just wear a big watch.
6. Shoes
I can be very picky when it comes to shoes because my feet are narrow. Ballet flats and Oxfords are definitely worth splurging on because you I can wear them with almost anything; same goes with the sandals. Sandals and espadrilles are the perfect summer shoes. If you live in a tropical country like the Philippines, these are highly recommended. I prefer sandals with thin straps that do not go beyond the ankle. For some reason I never got used to wearing heels. I know it's quite hard to believe that a small girl like me rarely wears heels. I only wear them out of necessity and if it's required on special occasions.
Here are some of my wardrobe staples:
1. Skinny Jeans
These are the only pair of jeans that had the perfect fit, I must admit it was like magic. As you can see, jeans have always been a problematic piece of clothing for me even when I was younger. There's always something wrong with it; either the length is too long or the waistline is too big. Maybe it was because of my petite frame and my unflattering derriere. My mother would usually send it to the tailor to have it altered. I envied those girls who have no difficulty in finding the perfect jeans for them. I've also tried different cuts of jeans like the straight and flared but they still look ghastly. Then the skinny jeans came out! I was hesitant and uncomfortable at first because they were tight but after some time I got used to it. I prefer them in dark, plain colors like navy blue and black. It's the perfect outfit for creating the illusion of longer and thinner legs. I like how it hugs your thighs and how it falls straight to your ankles. If it's a bit long, I just fold it inwards. Guess, Jag and Abercrombie offer high quality skinny jeans; the denim they use is stretch and comfortable and the color doesn't wear off easily.
2. Dresses and Skirts
Dresses and skirts never fail to make its wearer look so feminine, demure and even sexy. Dresses have always been a part of my wardrobe. The A-line and empire cut dresses are the ones that flatter my figure (since I'm petite and flat chested!). Another essential must-have is the LBD (Little Black Dress)! It's famous for its versatility; just change the accessories and you have created a whole different look. Recently, I've purchased dresses with cinched waistlines and flowing skirt because it gives emphasis to my tiny waist. I also noticed that the style and patterns from the 60s are making a comeback. The dresses made back then were simple yet sophisticated (think of Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn!). If I had it my way, I'd have all my dresses tailor made but it consumes a lot of time and money.
If you want a more casual or laid-back look then skirts are perfect for this. You can pair it with any plain top and it would give your outfit a girly look. And sometimes when I don't feel like wearing a dress, I'll just pick up a skirt. My favorites are the A-line skirt, again putting emphasis on my tiny waist plus it looks so sophisticated, and flowy skirts that end above the knee. I also have a black bandage skirt that has a nice fit and it goes well with almost anything.
3. Button down shirts
You can never go wrong with a classic button down shirt. Wearing this makes me feel sexy without showing too much skin. Most of the time I roll the sleeves up and keep it tucked in my pants or skirt. You can wear it over your top or dress for a more casual look. For a more polished look, pair it with slacks or dress pants and a blazer.
4. Blazers
Blazers are the perfect choice if you a want a polished look. It can always add character to a plain outfit. I love how designers found a way to make blazers less formal by adding prints and designs to the lining, so it shows when you roll the sleeves. When buying a blazer, always check how it fits your shoulders. These are the conditions that are hard to negotiate with; if the fit is not good then don't waste your money on it. Having it altered is not a solution. Also pick a color that suits you; black, white, tan and gray works well with my complexion.
5. Accessories
Accessories are quite a challenge for me. For my earrings, I only wear studs that are moderate in size, specifically pearls and diamonds. Dangling, chandelier and drop earrings overpower my small face. For my necklaces, I only wear those with thin chains (either short or long) and simple pendants. I rarely wear bracelets and rings because my wrist and fingers are too tiny, nothing will fit. Instead of wearing bracelets, I just wear a big watch.
6. Shoes
I can be very picky when it comes to shoes because my feet are narrow. Ballet flats and Oxfords are definitely worth splurging on because you I can wear them with almost anything; same goes with the sandals. Sandals and espadrilles are the perfect summer shoes. If you live in a tropical country like the Philippines, these are highly recommended. I prefer sandals with thin straps that do not go beyond the ankle. For some reason I never got used to wearing heels. I know it's quite hard to believe that a small girl like me rarely wears heels. I only wear them out of necessity and if it's required on special occasions.

No comments:
Post a Comment